Sunday, May 8, 2011

Enter the wait, and the weekend crazies

                           "Mom says I need to stay this way for at least thirty minutes...sigh"



Poor Nugget. His job is done for now, and he hasn't a clue how it was really supposed to happen. He tried, and he tried, and he tried. For four days, he tried. But it just wasn't to be this time around, so it was taken care of by bag, tube and syringe. So now I wait and see. If Kate has any eggs at all they are fertilized. Good folks walked me through the process and it was so clear that I had no problems with it...on either dog. Nugget now gets very excited if he sees the bag and runs to the table. Sadly, he also would run to me after several attempts with Kate. Oh what a twisted life it is, and I must continuely chant to myself "Animal Science 101, or it can creep me out a little bit.

The craziness has not been without casualties. After I bathed and groomed the Nugg-butt we settled in for the night. The next morning he was lame. But I could not find the problem. And I had a show to get to, which was two hours away in my sister's town. I called and headed down early. Her horsey expertise could help me diagnose which leg was bothering him, at the very least. Several thoughts ran through my head. Had I stepped on him and injured his foot? Had he stepped on something? Had he tweaked a shoulder gettin on, or off, the bed? Or...had he somehow strained something with his constant attempts to breed Kate. I headed south, and west; hoping that my boy was not badly hurt.

Once we arrived I gave him an NSAID and walked him back and forth for review. She couldn't find it either, and these dogs are so darn stoic that it was impossible to pinpoint where he hurt. Off to the venue we went, me in jeans and t-shirt. I simply was going to cheer on my friends. When we walked in the excitement, or something, caused Nugget to stop limping. Enough that I was told to take him in the ring. I rushed out and grabbed my clothes and his show gear and we went in the ring. None of the grooming that I needed to do was done. None of the mental prep that I need to do for myself, and my dog, was done. I realized after the fact that I wore my muck boots into the ring. More like muck clogs, but definitely NOT show shoes. He did good, I made it through, and sister Shea-butter kicked butt-er. All was good. Nugget was much more subdued that is normal for him; could have been the meds. Could have been his wild week. I headed home cautiously optomistic about the next day.

Usually with this show I stay down at my sister's place. Because of Kate, and not wanting to stress her if she is early pregnant I drove back and forth. Two hours each way. And Sunday's ring time was 8am. (Hey, did anyone else notice that the National Anthem was not played? What was with that??) Anyway, the alarm went off at 4:15am. I needed to leave the house by 5:30, and I needed to groom Nugget and myself and get the morning routine going so the dogs that stayed home had time to do their doodies before they were crated for 8 hours. Nugget seemed sound when I got up, but then again, I was pretty groggy.  I dressed, with shoe change, before the drive, and Nugget looked quite spiffy as well when we hit the road. I had planned on grabbing a bite to eat on the road, but ended up behind not one, but TWO cars going 5mph under the speed limit for more than half the drive. One car can be passed, but two cannot. State law requires cars pull out if the are holding up five cars. I was one lonely truck. With frayed nerves I got to the Fairgrounds in time to get nerves in check before entering the ring. The judge was an odd one. I think he may go on the questionable list. He liked Nugget, I am not sure I liked him. I have never had a judge have his hands in my dog's mouth before I even get him on the table. He was a bit gruff, an a bit rude, but he DID like Nugget, and Nugget did not shy away from him. Then there was the "down and back" that wasn't. Yep. For the first time in my short show career we did a triangle. I was glad I had taken classes so was fine with it. It just was odd that he seemed so rushed with the table, but wanted a triangle. All was great as he picked Nuggie in his class, and then the next. So we came home with Purple, Winner's Dog, and two more points. After a few more classes to watch and some food I headed home.

The next couple of days will be rest and relax time for me and for the dogs. All the breeding stuff gets packed away and we wait for signs of change in Kate. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and Nugget? I think he strained something trying to figure out his duties with Kate. It is tough to be studly, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I must be hanging around too many Cardi breeders because this stuff is starting to not faze me at all. I hope there's some action in the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck for puppies...

    ReplyDelete