Such an odd place to be (getting it together) for a 57 year old, don't you think? But were I to subtract my 28 years living in a failed marriage, 16 years of debilitating disease (and the bills that come with it) that would put me at 13. OK, not going back there, so will take some years back that were spent jointly married and ill, OK?
I went from my parents' house, to college, to married. I never lived alone, and never really made financial decisions on my own. In fact, much like my father used to be, finances are incredibly stressful for me; I hate dealing with it all. That said, in the past two weeks I have been signing my name to what seems like hundreds of documents. I have had enough credit checks to tank my numbers. And I can still breathe!! In fact, my financial life is well on the road to recovery, according to a loan guy, who also was nice enough to give me a couple of hints to increase the numbers quite quickly. You see, being married to a credit card-aholic has made me shun plastic money. It scares the heck out of me. As a result, I have no credit. OK, a little bit of credit, but that is because I own a house and have not been late on payments (thanks, auto-draw). So last week, after a couple of months of agony, the house refinance finally went through. When I moved here, almost ten years ago, my credit was in the toilet due to bankruptcy and all the aforementioned credit cards, most of which I knew nothing about...ill, remember? It was time to take the interest down. The cash out didn't occur as hoped, but payments are down quite a bit and being able to skip a house payment means that my truck is paid off. (Happy dance.) However, as much as I adore, and will keep forever, my little truck, it cannot haul family. One kid in a carseat is all that fits. Parents are banned to the back, and extra kid strapped in the middle without her booster.. NOT cool! So I have been drooling over the Transit Connect Wagon/Van. It carries the Ford badge, which would delight my father to no end as he was a die hard Ford man. It has a second row of seats that will sit three. And a TON of dog room. Made as a commercial vehicle it will be easy to install tiedowns for multiple crates. Like my truck, no carpets, mean easy clean up. A blast with the air compressor sends dirt and hair out the door. So I ordered one. Two months ago. Four to six month turn around would mean puppies sold...wrong! It came in two months early. My car. Yeah. NOT going to happen.
I talked with the above mentioned finance guy and will be heading in and picking up the car soon. And my credit will be repairing as I pay. It will be re-financed in a year at which time I will have fantastic scores...snicker, whatever, dude. He suggested a very low limit credit card, and keeping a balance of 49% on it. He said that would be the quickest way to send the credit score thru the roof. $500 max, and a $249 balance. Regular monthly payments. Perhaps, but it really scares me. Another obstacle to just get over, I guess.
So, I am off to get the new doggy mobile...oops, family mobile. Uh huh...want a ride?

No comments:
Post a Comment