Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A lot can happen in 24 hours

At 11pm last night I was awakened by yelping from Kate.  She was quite obviously NOT in labor and I assumed that she had a pup in a crazy position and it would move and she would settle. My midnight I was pretty sure there was something else going on. She was acting like one side of her face hurt, yet I couldn't find the problem. I began to wonder if she was having little seizures, so bundled her up and headed to the Emergency Clinic. Once there it was determined that we just didn't know exactly what was happening, but that her neck was bothering her and the only thing that could be done this close to delivery was handle her with opiates. Kitty opiates. A shot was given and I headed for home shortly after 3am.

By 7am Kate was hurting more than she had been the night before so I called at 8 and headed back in. A different vet, a different view. I had also called a friend for her thoughts, so had more questions for the vet. It was determined almost immediately that Kate did, indeed, have a problem with her neck. It may be something that has been there, though I doubt it, and the release of her body's natural hormone prior to delivery has made the injury much more apparent. After more book studies it was again determined that nothing could be given to Kate to make her more comfortable except for the same cat opiate pain reliever. As the front desk ordered more for rush delivery, the tech took all but an amp and drew it up into insulin syringes. Every four hours Kate is given an injection subcutaneously.

Then there was the other worry. She would not eat. She is rapidly growing the pups and stood the chance of going into eclampsia if I can't get her to eat. I decided that I would stuff her an hour after her injection. Then I noticed my bag of samples from the Bainbridge Island Wag-fest. She happily munched down two (sample) tubes of Natural Balance Duck and Potato. What a relief that was!!

So, the plan is to rest her and grow the puppies. To keep her as pain free as possible until she delivers. My hope is that with the extra weight off of her spine and nerves she will be fine.

To think that just twenty four hours ago we were headed out to do chores. I wish I could turn back the clock...

3 comments:

  1. Poor Kate, I'm so sorry. I hope that you are able to manage her pain until delivery and that it is smooth sailing from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, poor Kate (and poor you)! Sending thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Nancy. I hope and pray that Kate will rest until she delivers.... how scary. Please keep everyone updated as you can - I'm sending all the best thoughts and virtual hugs I can manage... *hug*

    ReplyDelete