![]() | ||
| now THIS is high in the rear!! |
After a crazy, roller coaster riding couple of days I took Kate in for an acupuncture treatment yesterday morning. I had to carry her into the clinic and when I set her down for the vet to observe she walked in a circle with her head held to one side; whimpering and yelping as she walked. He immediately determined that she had severe neck pain and I carried her into the exam room to begin the treatment.
Palpation showed that her neck vertebrae were not tender to pressure, but that she was sensitive behind her shoulders. He then inserted about a dozen needles into her neck, back and hind leg. After several minutes the needles were removed and I headed for home after making a follow up appointment for today, and a tentative appointment for tomorrow.
On the way home I found that she was relaxed for the first time in two days, and allowed me to lay my hand on her side. Prior to the treatment she could not handle being touched at all, and would flinch if anything came close to her. I was delighted to feel the puppies doing cartwheels inside of her. Probably a lot more delighted than poor Kate was! At this point we were about two hours past time for her pain meds. Once home she quietly settled in her now favorite spot: the tile entry floor. Unlike prior to the appointment, she laid flat out on her side. No shivering. No whining. Soon Nugget was laying beside her and both were sleeping. I was in shock. I have always been a bit skeptical of alternative medicine. I had tried acupuncture once myself for phantom pain and it was the most horrendous thing I have ever gone through; bar none! However, I had taken my rottie in to treat his Wobbler's Disease and will credit it for some comfort and increased time.
At bedtime I decided to give her a pain shot as I worried that the endorphins would go away in the night and she would be in worse shape by morning. Instead I heard nothing from her and bolted from bed at 4am in fear that she had died in the night. What I found instead was that she was sound asleep and wondered what the heck I was doing waking her. With a slight wag of the tail and a normal head and neck position, I could barely contain my amazement and joy.
I hopped back to my room and put on my leg and got dressed so I could get the dogs out, since they were now all awake. She calmly went down the ramp and did her business and then settled back to her spot on the entry way.
About 7am I took the boys out with me to do chores. We fed the horse, scooped the poop, and I threw balls for the dogs. After about fifteen minutes I came back into the house to find her at the back door giving me the hairy eyeball. She wanted to do chores, darn it all!! I invited her, alone, out and she trotted out to the pasture and waited while I opened the gate and let her in to say hi to the horse. That done, she sat and stared at the balls on the window sill. No way, dear Kate. That is NOT happening. We walked a bit and headed in; about five minutes later. Once inside I began the search for food she would eat. I struck out on nearly everything. She finally settled on some high quality jerky treats that I have used to bait Nugget in the show ring. She ate the entire bag, save for a handful that had been used at the last show. Whatever works, I figure.
So today is another appointment which I have decided to keep. Her temperature went down to 99.0 at ten and stayed there until sometime after two. It is now back up to 99.9. The clinic called and said that it was 100.2 when we were in the other night. I have not wanted to bother Kate the past couple of days, so I have no idea for sure what "normal" is. I do know that the Nugglets are active when I put the thermometer in, and that is very reassuring.
So. I am now a huge advocate for Acupuncture. I can't wait to walk Kate into the office in two hours. They will be blown away!!
What will tomorrow hold? Maybe puppies? Only time will tell.

Great news and wonderful success for both of you! 101 is normal for a dog. She's fine if under 102 for sure.
ReplyDeleteDayl
Hugs Nancy. You have a great support system. I'm predicting a happy ending, and beginning!
ReplyDeleteAmazing. I'm glad she's done so well! May she continue to feel better and may the babies arrive safe and sound :)
ReplyDelete